...

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Baby, Baby!! Shower Me!!. . .9/4/11

Our third (out of five) tablescape is for a brunch-style baby shower. This one's for you Erika M.!!

This table setting can easily be translated into a bridal shower, a ladies luncheon, birthday etc. but in this particular case we were celebrating the imminent arrival of a long-awaited baby for our dear friend. My mantra for bridal and baby showers is always the same: simple, soft and elegant. I don't like to over-decorate or go the "obvious" route with stylings as you'll see below. For example, in my opinion, one or two focal points for decorations is sufficient. I like to always think about 1) where the guest of honor will be seated and make that area look nice since she will likely be photographed there a lot, 2) make the table setting nice, 3) make the drink station fun and unique and 4) add something special or sentimental for the guest of honor. AND as a general rule, I tend to feel that certain events should be looked at almost like an outfit. . .if there are too many accessories and things to look at, dial it down. Don't over clutter a table, don't hang streamers or pink bunting on anything that'll stand still, don't think that every square inch of your home has to look like a party store vomited there. . .it needn't and it shouldn't be so.
Here is the mantel. I decorated this area because we placed a large cream slip covered chair in front of it for the guest of honor as she opened her baby shower gifts.
I pinned some antique baby dresses that usually hang on the wall in my daughter's bedroom with clothes pins and borrowed this antique children's chair and one of her bunny rabbits to give it dimension and height.
We placed some of these sweet pink spray roses around the tables here and there.
Our guest of honor brought her baby book and I placed it on a small table near the front door for people to sign in.
. . .and I used two antique teapots filled with pink spray roses as accents on the table. A couple of books elevated one for height and dimension as well. Having them both on the table looks flat and boring.
One of our talented hostesses made these sweet prayer cards and sewed them together as books. Guests could jot down a scripture or a prayer or a bit of parenting advice or anything they wanted to share as a keepsake for our honored mama.
This is the drink station. I apologize that the photograph is a little dark but I sewed this tablecloth which has a ruffled edge and used it as the base. Pewter plates hold pitchers of water and mint iced tea.
You might recognize these birds and wooden hearts?? I made this for my daughter's first birthday. Here's how: I found a huge tree branch on the side of the road, took it home, bought a galvanized metal bucket, cemented the branch into it and poured gravel in the bucket to weigh it down. Next I used pink seam binding for it's light airy quality, tied it randomly around some branches and then made these birds out of differing pastel fabrics. They were my first sewing project ever!!
A few years back I saw a pile of random glass teacups at an antique show (are you starting to understand where I get all my stuff??) and loved how dainty and cute they were! They were $1.25 a piece so I bought all 18. . .wish there had been more! Since then whenever I see some, I buy them and now when we have showers or small events I can use a mismatch of glass teacups to serve punch or tea :) I thought hanging them on this French bottle drying rack would be a fun and unique way to display them.
Water, mint iced tea and what else, PINK lemonade were our drink options.
I used my dining room for serving food. Used to be that when we all hosted showers, there was enough food to feed several armies but as the years have passed, and I've hosted dozens of events here, we have all learned our lesson - people don't eat as much as you think they will (especially women) so choose a couple of things everyone likes, something savory and something sweet :)
Fresh bakery croissants and grape and walnut chicken salad. . .
. . .a tomato, onion and herb quiche that one of our hostesses made from scratch. . .looks like a work of art if you ask me!!
. . .quiche Lorraine, which we cut into slices to set it apart visually from the other quiche and for ease of course.
. . .fresh assorted fruit. . .
. . .that was soooo incredibly sweet and tasty!!
. . .another hostess made these adorable baby carriage cookies as favors. . .
. . .and for dessert, what else but the classic white petit fours from the best bakery in Houston, Moellers!!
Congratulations friend!! And welcome baby Eleanor!! Hope you all enjoyed this tablescape. . .I know I did! It was such a joy to host this event.

No comments: