...

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A British Ireland. . .7/13/11

Kathyrn M. Ireland, the British import designer on Million Dollar Decorators (Tuesdays on Bravo at 9pm), likes to say she isn't a "home designer," she's a "life designer". I have to say I agree with her because her carefree and bold designs go hand in hand with her love of good wine, good food and enjoying life "no matter what dahling". Watching her design homes and interact with her friends and clients on this show is to literally witness a woman whose passion for life is as bright, exotic and wild as her design projects!! She calls things as they are - doesn't pull any punches and is as self-depricating in her humor as she is arrogant. . .but in her totally charming way. A little bohemian, a little country, a little quirky, and a lot colorful, the textile and furniture designer is an absolute firecracker!! She is my absolute favorite decorator on the show and though I've followed her designs for years (and am thrilled she's one of the fab five on the show) I feel like a kid in a candy store to be able to see her personality. . .which is such a treat because I think sometimes we can envision people we've never met in ways totally different from who they actually are in real life. I already assumed someone who claimed bold color and flavor the way she does had to be somewhat unorthodox but to see her on the show is gratifying proof. I LOVE K.M.I. . .and while we are admitting to being in love, I should confess I'm also more than infatuated with the stunningly beautiful pairing of Jeffrey Alan Marks and his hunky boyfriend Ross Cassidy. Seriously?? They are as beautiful as two men can be. . .but of all the "couple" interactions, I think I laugh and enjoy Ms. Ireland's interactions and "dahling" infused chats with fellow Brit designer, Martyn Lawrence Bullard. Please watch this show!! Promise you'll love it as much as I do :)
The fabulous Ms. Ireland.
Some of her incredible textiles. . .which you can buy online by the yard!!
Her use of color is so bold and in your face. I loooove that about her.
I particularly like how in some cases she uses color but keeps other things muted. . .like the white wall in this case.
Not all her work is "loud" but what it never is? Boring.
This room for example is so easily transitional, which is a great characteristic of hers. You can swap pieces and fabrics out at will, by season or if you find a new one you like more. . .
This is the den in the Ojai, California ranch she owned, which she sold to actress Reese Witherspoon. Witherspoon liked everything in it so much she paid for the entire decor. . .plates, tableware, bedding and silverware included. If I could afford to do it that way, I would've too. I'm certain every last detail in this home is "so Kathyrn".
A softer side of Ireland's look. Softer. . .but no less fabulous. Even when keeping the same palette she stays away from being too "matchy matchy".
I'm happy with anything that incorporates white slipcovers and hot pink/fuchsia.
I'd never be so daring as to place some of the colors she uses in my home but when she does it, it works.
This is BEYOND amazing!! I would dine out here every single day - rain or shine - if I had this outdoor cave/loggia and view I might add.
A corner nook for a colorful banquette.
Look at those chairs!! Only she could pull this off!!
A simple kitchen takes on an entirely different feel - Moroccan almost, when she adds these blue/green tiles to the back splash.
Nice red touch. Eclectic chairs and desk. Perfection.
This bathroom is too cute.
And if my daughter were in high school right now. . .THIS would be my dream room for her!! FAN-FRIGGIN-TABULOUS!!! Kathyrn Ireland if you were here I'd kiss your face for this magnificent room! And look at those incredible bed posts!!
A bedroom from her Ojai ranch. Guess Reese and her new hubby rest their heads there now.
I love the dark wood bunk beds and the fun quirky designs. Not too girly at all for a boys room!!
The living room in Kathyrn's current home in Los Angeles.
Another Moroccan-inspired outdoor dining area. Some colorful pillows, a lantern, and bright plates can make this look yours too!
A poolside haven.
This is another one of her rare "muted" rooms. She's not a one-trick pony folks. . .this lady has her talent down pat.
This is such and elegant, cheerful and yet comfortable dining room.
I love this image of the hallway because it's simple but most people wouldn't hang drapes over and over along a narrow hallway like this. . .just goes to remind us, this designer is not "most people".
UGH!! Serenity now!! I love these sinks and the tufted ottoman in the bathroom.
This cottage feels so calm and relaxing. It's such a juxtaposition from her usual bright interiors.
Airy, bohemian, bright, feminine, masculine, chic, modern, retro, uncomplicated. . .it is all things at once. That's why I love it.
I can absolutely picture this in a New York apartment. . .maybe in the West Village. . .
. . .and this I can envision in a light-filled Malibu beach house.
A view of the Ojai ranch den from above. That fireplace is insane and the art, fabrics and textures are superbly combined.
Could I come stay in this room?? Or is this where Jacqueline sleeps?? ;)

No comments: