...

Monday, May 9, 2011

Ahhh Italia!! Part 1. . .5/9/11

If you have been checking La Vie Abondante lately and wondering if my fingers were broken, I assure you that they are not. I have simply been in a whirlwind of travel and household abnormality the last month and a half. My husband had some much needed time off of work and with that time we opted to travel a little.

We took two trips: one with our babies (3 and 1 year olds) to Florida and one with each other to ITALY!! I have always wanted to go and with two small children and a husband whose busy schedule doesn't permit long getaways it seemed I'd have to wait until our kids were in college to do so but alas a window of opportunity appeared and off we went. . .for TEN days!! It was fabulous and beautiful and delicious and relaxing but ironically we missed our babies so much that by day seven we were ready to change our flights and come home early. . .we didn't but we thought about it. . .that counts, right??

That said, here are a handful of photographs of a few Italian things I thought were worth sharing with you all. Many many more to come. . .
Venezia!! This city is so remarkably unique. Apart from it's lovely landscapes and architecture, there are no main streets! Or rather they are all made up of water canals. Travel is by foot or by water only via vaporetto, water taxi or gondola. What an experience. . . it's the city where the world gets, what else, Venetian glass!!
Walking around Venice there are masks and festival-wear galore. . .the city's tradition of debauchery dates back a few hundred years. . .here are a few masks I thought very interesting.
Toscana. . .ah, the Tuscan countryside is magnificent! Not only were the vineyard's wines very tasty but the views were breathtaking. This is in Chianti, about an hour outside of Firenze (Florence to us non-Italians).
Under the Tuscan Sun. . .quite literally.
A beautiful arrangement of flowers sat at the top of a hill outside a cafe. . .so lovely.
I thought this green vine growing so beautifully and evenly across a power line extended over the street was so neat.
And a flower carts full of colorful blooms was irresistible of course!!
The Fonatana di Trevi (famed Trevi Fountain) was spectacular!! Probably one of my favorite sculptures! It's size is astounding and the detail is just beyond words. . .we stood there for forever. legend has it that throwing a coin into the fountain ensures you will one day return to Rome. . .here's to hoping my coin trick worked ;)
Him I had to photograph and not because he was famous but because he is exactly what I envision as the "quintessential" Italian man. From the clothes to the haircut, perfect unshaven face, classic shades and relaxed lifestyle.
Il Coliseo Romano (Roman Coliseum)
Enjoying gelato in Rome
The architecture and detail of Italy's cathedrals, relics and ruins is absolutely astounding. . .especially when you stop to consider how many hundreds and hundreds of years ago they were built. Look at this ceiling!
And this one!! The Sistine Chapel was magnificent but not necessarily more so than others around Rome. . .
Here is a Madonna in one of the Vatican's rooms. . .she is surrounded by immeasurably beautiful works of art.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I had been checking in and wondering where you were since I found no new posts for a while (I admit I got frustrated) ;). But alas, I was in Florida Monday (we popped in on my parents vacation) and they mentioned that you and them (coincidence) where doing the same thing this month. They were in Venice, Tuscany and Rome when you were and then they went to the Florida Panhandle! So then I figured that when I checked again (now that I knew where my favorite writer was) there would surely be something, and here it is! Thanks for sharing! I am sooo glad you got to go alone with your husband on this much needed vacation! God Bless you even more :)