...

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Found for the Home. . .2/16/11

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Would we all not agree that such a statement is fact? Or does art, physical attraction, style and opinion coincide in all of us the same? Indeed it does not. . .because if it did I would not feel the need (nay gut-splitting urge) to write mental fashion citations throughout the day to strangers on the street. . .(while we are on that note, allow me a brief aside: UGG boots DO NOT go with everything. UGG's on Bottom, cutoff denim and bikini on top???? Pick a season for Pete's sake!!) Anyway. . .

So, the old adage, "One man's trash is another man's treasure," is true and in no other place as much as when you are hunting for antiques; when creativity can lend itself to many, many a treasure, as-is or re-purposed. . .it just takes an eye and an idea. . .

Behold the opportunities. . .
Magnificent seashells in every size shape and color. In clusters, bowls , bookshelves. . .there are few places these delicious sea skeletons don't make a splash!! Except maybe the soap kind that were for decorative use only sitting in baskets on the back of people's toilets in the 80's and 90's. . .pourqoui??
This gorgeous pup even got to enjoy his nap on a stunning antique doggie bed. Now that's what I call a pampered pooch!!
Old fragments and small corbels. . .could make a great shelf ornament or wall grouping. . .
These antique Mexican Milagros STOLE my heart!! I LOVE them. . .too bad they were terribly expensive and I didn't "technically" need any ;) But they'd look great in a grouping on my wall. . .or hanging from tabletop books as bookmarks. . .I might need to actually go back and find these for my daughter's room. . .
These two Rosemary topiaries smell AMAZING!! Too bad they are for a client and not for me :(
This lovely floral oil painting for my daughter's room is so sweet. . . I couldn't pass it up!! The colors are beautiful!
These antique cooking molds went from the antique fair straight to a closet in my home where I keep things for ideas later on. . .stay tuned. . .I loved the size, the patina and the scalloped edges on them. Again, couldn't leave them. . .and the more of them I took home, the better the price the dealer gave me!!
I've recently started collecting silver teapots and pitchers and trophies. I have an idea for a wonderful shelf but it will take many antique fairs over the course of many years to build the size collection I'm interested in. . .we'll see. . .and I'll definitely keep you posted.
But look at the exquisite detail and etching on this one!!! I think for now it might make a home in my study with some pale pink roses to keep it company. . .
. . .beside this one of course ;) The handle is divine!
This pitcher had sweet feet and a very unique pouring spout (hard to see but). . .it is what it is. You don't always come home from fairs with truck loads of large pieces. Sometimes you have to take the risk that you might be out there for hours at time and return with something nearly useless or worst, empty-handed. There were years I went out to Round Top, paid sitters, gassed up the car, drove three hours, paid admission, food, etc. Came home beaten down, exhausted and allergy-attacked and had literally NOT ONE thing to show for it. Not even a ribbon! Oh well, for me, it's all about the hunt. . .antiqueing is my happy place :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I sit here and read, all the way in Alabama mind you, I feel like I just went shopping with you- we have very similar taste and it is so much fun to read your posts! I used to love going to Round Top to shop for antiques, many moons ago, and of course for Royer's Round Top Cafe- peach pie was always a must! :) And I also understand how you have to take the risk and go places, out of your way for many hours to find items, and even if you find only one...it made it all worth it! Keep it up, I sit here with my cup of tea and truly enjoy reading your blog! :)

-Vickie