...

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Tabletop Feast. . . 12/4/10

Every Christmas my husband and I pay homage to our church pastors and elders by hosting a dinner in appreciation for all they do for their congregation day after day, year after year. On this, our fifth year to host, I wanted to create something more unique for the buffet table's centerpiece than the typical floral arrangement. I wasn't sure what I was looking for but I knew I wanted it to feel "abundant" and festive"; "cozy" and "inviting" so one afternoon while perusing the latest Pottery Barn catalogue, I saw the photograph above and was inspired. . . The price tag for all the birch and holiday candles however was not so inspiring.

So, as any thrifty woman would do, I searched for a way to make the design my own. In doing so I found off white candles in all shapes and sizes, wooden figurines (though not candles as in the PB photo), holiday sprigs, garland, pine cones, etc. and combined them all with my favorite pewter serve ware to recreate my own version of this centerpiece and you know what, disagree if you will but I like my version better ;) See below. . .



This is a small "flower" arrangement for the serving pieces. . .a few candy canes and berry sprigs literally thrown together at the last minute. . .
My Ballard Design french wire votive candle holders added holiday lighting. . .
A burlap-wrapped plant on our coffee table added fragrance and warmth to our evening. . .

There you have it? A few photographs of our dinner decor. . .and if you can believe it, after ALL the preparation, I took ONLY THOSE two photos of my abondante centerpiece!! I think I was expecting I'd take all the photos once the food was inside the trays and serve ware but once I did that, all my hosting duties flew into full swing and I forgot all about taking pictures until after I'd taken the whole thing apart. . .isn't that just sad?! Still, it was a lovely time and our pastors enjoyed their night. And as for me, I enjoyed serving them and taking quick peeks at my thrifty centerpiece. . .

1 comment:

v said...

Thanks for sharing! I love what you did and when I read the first part and then saw the PB picture I couldn't wait to scroll down and see what you'd come up with...I totally agree- yours was even nicer! We are similar in that I get inspired in the PB and Ballards catalogues (and a few others) and then find a way to do it inexpensive and nicer, adding my own touch :) I also loved to find out about your dinner for pastors, that is nice- we host one for our church leaders (who serve with us) and I get real excited to work on every detail because I know they deserve that and more, and that God uses us to give them a moment of pleasure at a nice dinner! Love you and thanks for the Christmas card, it is nice to be remembered by good friends from home! :) -Vickie, Alabama